[pct-l] Re: Plantar fasciitis recovery

Don

This is something I developed from doing the stair climbing step-mil machine too much with a pack on, and not warming up.  I have talked with two different podiatrists, plus done a fair amount of research on the web.  You really want to nip this in the bud and avoid it becoming chronic. You also may have to continue a preventative program for a long time, as I have done.

There are four things that I have done to recover ??? all of them though are ongoing so as the problem does not come back, hopefully ;-)
1) I bought Superfeet (off the shelf from REI at $30) which were recommended by my podiatrist. They provide arch support more than anything. I wear them every day not just when exercising.  I take then out and put them in my boots when hiking.  You may want to consider custom Superfeet if the off the shelf ones do not work for you (around $80 I think)
2) I stretch 2-3 times a day. The podiatrist said every hour, but I got lazy ;-(  I specifically stretch my calf and more crucially my Achilles tendon. There are many web sites out that how best to do this.  I also stretch my Achilles tendon in a bent knee position.  Once this is done, move on to the plantar stretches as another poster pointed out.  Always, always stretch before exercise.
3) I ice every evening before bed if I have exercised that day. I did it every evening when I had plantar faciiitis but now do it as a preventative measure.
4) I do not do any exercise that involves my feet if my heel / plantar is hurting. Even cycling made it worse.  I???ll do something else like go to the gym instead

I stopped taking Naproxen (anti-inflammatory) since it seemed to do me no good.

Also check out this web site :
http://heelspurs.com/index.html
and its very useful message board
http://heelspurs.com/_safe.html