[pct-l] PCT First Timer

Start at Kennedy Meadows and go North as far as you can go (not sure if you
have 1 or 2 months). The main pack of thru hikers leave Kennedy Meadows
around June 15th, +/- several days. You will still have mosquitoes, but
probably less snow over the passes and less high stream water in the High
Sierras. Getting to Lake Tahoe is about 3-4 weeks (presuming you are in
somewhat OK shape).

Join the PCTA (www.pcta.org) and get your permits through them (also the
guide books). Climb Mt. Whitney for sure. Some folks detour to do Mt.
Shasta. In Oregon, you can summit South and Middle Sister. In Washington,
Mt. Adams. However, by the time you reach northern California, you may no
longer be interested in any peak bagging. Hiking to a restaurant may be as
much extra walking you want to do.

I don't think bears nor lions are dangers; park rangers, maybe. It is bear
box or canister use in the Sierras. But, chances are, you will not have any
encounters with bears (if you stealth camp).

Get Yogi's PCT Handbook (www.pcthandbook.com) for lots of useful tips.

This list and archives are full of info on gear and other matters: running
shoes, light weight packs, tents/tarps, sleeping bags, cooking equipment,
etc. Just pick a topic and read. The gear used 20 years ago is definitely
outdated. But, every person is different and you need to find out what works
for you. And, as you know, physically train before you start. Enjoy! And ask
more specific questions as needed.

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR
m.karon@comcast.net