From: "Peter" <peter@onthecrest.com>
To: "'pct'" <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Cc: <wildski@msn.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2004 11:24 AM
Subject: [pct-l] I-10- to Big Bear in November?

My son and I are going to be in Palm Springs, and we are looking at hiking
from San Gorgonio to Van Dusen Canyon Road--64 miles--beginning on the
afternoon of 11/15. The problem is we have only 5 days and I understand from
talking to National Park folk that there's already 2-3 feet of snow on most
of the distance. While my son is a fast hiker, I'm slow. Which sparks these
questions:

-- Is the 64 miles totally unrealistic, given the snow conditions?

-- How easy would it be to get to Route 38? How long is it likely to take?
Is that road passable? Is there sufficient traffic to viably hitchhike to
Big Bear?

--Is there any other road that comes close to the trail, by which we might
leave the trail and get to Big bear in an easy 5 days?

-- Are the conditions such that it'd be advisable to carry an ice ax? A GPS?

-- If this part of the PCT is not viable, given our time constraints, can
you suggest an alternative 30-40-mile hike from Big Bear north? How about
Big Bear to Hwy 173?

--Are there any N to S vs. S-N slants?

I would very much appreciate any suggestions regarding the above.

Peter "Powerful Tiger" Haskell