[pct-l] dehydrated foods

Regarding the dehydrated foods:

My wife decided to only go with dehydrated foods from Kennedy Meadows to
Lake Tahoe so she didn't need to carry a stove or pot. She made up her own
menus of nutritionally balanced, appropriate calorie food and dried those.
It took her quite a while and the house had the aroma for weeks. ... But,
she said it worked great. She just threw the food into cold water in a
plastic jar, hiked with it for a few of hours, and then had an enjoyable
cold meal (at least most of them). She now says she would do this in other
sections too, although sometimes she would have enjoyed something hot. I
don't think this would work for long when it gets cold (like in
Oregon/Washington).

She did not vacuum seal anything. Instead, she put the individual portions
in plastic bags and then froze them until they were shipped. She had no
problem with spoilage.

Doing this reduced the weight of food and gave her the balance she needed.
Just make sure to sample the food before you go to make sure you like the
taste and that it hydrates OK. Some of her meals didn't work.

Regarding sleeping bags:

Lots of good ones out there. Spend the $. I would go with 800+ down, a cover
which has some waterproofing (like Epic) [we just used normal nylon which
works OK], and enough room so you don't compress the sides. Women normally
sleep colder, so I wouldn't go less than a 20 degree bag. Find a store or a
friend's bag and crawl into one before you buy.

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR
m.karon@comcast.net