[pct-l] Re: Where exactly are Bear Canisters required?

On Nov 2, 2004, at 12:07 PM, backpack45scb wrote:
> They are not required from Sonora Pass north (sections J, K,...).
> Parts of both Sequoia-Kings Canyon and Yosemite require them and we
> used one in all of the JMT section. When we did J and K this year, we
> carried Ursacks and didn't have any bear encounters that we know of.

I didn't go into Bridgeport from Sonora Pass so I don't know how
easy it would be to mail your bear canister out from there.  If you
don't resupply at Sonora then your next stop will most likely be
South Lake Tahoe.  This about 6 nights/7 days from Tuolumne Meadows
(and 3-4 nights from Sonora).  If you are carrying an ice axe, you
may want it beyond Sonora Pass (i.e. Elephant's Back) so you'll
have to take care of shipping errands in South Lake Tahoe anyway.

Two PCT thru-hikers this year had their food taken from their Ursack
somewhere south of Red's Meadow. They didn't realize their food was
under assault until they broke camp in the morning and found the
food missing.  Moral:  Ursacks are only useful as a delaying tactic,
you still need to be prepared to react to a bear that is checking
out your Ursack.  This means you need to be close enough to hear
and/or see the bear activity around your bag.