[pct-l] Where exactly are Bear Canisters required?

Yellow Jacket
I hiked Independence to Red's Meadow with the Killer Bees this season.
Between them and me we tried to get these questions answered from the
source.  No one in any ranger station we asked at knew the answer.  We
hiked with a ranger stationed in King's Canyon who checked for my bear
canister because I asked, then she said it wasn't required because I was a
thru-hiker.  She said she couldn't speak for other sections.  She was
checking and ticketing non thru-hikers.
I saw no other rangers until Tuolumne.  On my way up Whitney I passed an
empty ranger station.  On top of Whitney a ranger said they don't even
staff it until some time in July.  He was checking for Whitney permits.
When he came to me he asked, "Are you a thru-hiker?"
Then he did not ask for the Whitney Permit I didn't have.  I got the
feeling thru-hikers were looked at differently.............. in the legal
sense too.
Tuolumne had a different feel.  Bear canisters were a high priority.  I
didn't ask if thru-hikers were exempt.  I did ask if I was safe to send my
canister home from there.  YES! The answer was they are no longer required
seven miles north of the highway.  As long as I was in the process of
hiking there, I would be O.K.

Needy thru-hikers hone their scaming skills very well by the time they
reach the High Sierras.  Next time, if stopped for a bear canister, I have
backup plans.  Does anyone want to buy mine?  Low mileage.

Warner Springs Monty