[pct-l] Where exactly are Bear Canisters required?

On Nov 1, 2004, at 8:38 PM, Yellow Jacket wrote:
> Where exactly are Bear Canisters required on the PCT?  I've read
> several journals in which folks didn't carry one at all.  And claimed
> they were only in "violation" in a small section.  Any ideas?

I hiked the PCT this year and to be honest I don't know *exactly*
where they are required but it basically boils down to carrying
a canister (if you so choose) from Kennedy Meadows to South Lake
Tahoe.  That was the standard practice this year (for those choosing
to carry a canister) and takes care of all the areas where you have a
chance of being ticketed/fined for not carrying a canister.  I hope
someone
will correct me if there are areas outside this section where might be
required.
This also happens to be the recommended section to carry an ice axe if
you choose to do so.

There are bears all along the trail.  Priest and Prophet lost their
food in section C last year and used a canister from there to Etna
just before Oregon.  There were a couple of bear problems near Little
Jimmy Campground just north of Wrightwood. So regardless of your
opinions
on bear canisters you need to have a bear "strategy" (bear bag, sleep
with food, carry a canister) almost everywhere on the trail.  One very
common strategy was to cook and then hike on 2-3 miles to camp.
Radar

homepage.mac.com/at2002/
AT2002,PCT2004,PCT2005?,CDT?