[pct-l] Re: Ice Axe Experience Question

>From the west coast I certainly can't suggest local instruction sources for
you.  However, I'll suggest some excellent written instruction.  It is in
the book titled 'Mountaineering - The Freedom of the Hills', ISBN
0-89886-827-0 in hardcover and 0-89886-828-9 in paperback.  If a copy is
available to you at a library or elsewhere, study the section on self-arrest
with an ice axe.  You could study it with a friend and then go out and
practice together, alternating as safety observer for each other.  You'll
need a slope with snow hard enough (early in the day) and steep enough to
promote continue sliding after a fall.  The fall line of a practice slope
should be clear of hazards like protruding rocks or brush, and have a safe
runout area at the bottom.  For the PCT, the self-arrest section of the book
is likely the most applicable snow travel section for a majority of the
hikers.

On the PCT most hikers follow in footsteps of earlier hikers who have
chopped or stomped tracks through snow sections.  Most later hikers can
confidently step in those tracks.  You can get a flavor of how much ice axes
are needed on the PCT by reading a lot of journal entries where crossing
snow is discussed.  You can find some journal pictures of hikers with ice
axes strapped to their pack, trekking poles in hand, and stepping in tracks
made by earlier hikers.

Finally, regarding insttruction I've been told that the Sierra Club has
discontinued ice axe and crampon instruction following a serious accident.
I suppose that doesn't auger well for finding instruction in your area.   If
you don't find any, invest your time in study, and practice if you have
suitable location.
Regards