[pct-l] Re: MSR Dromlite bags

Dudes,

Dromlite bags? Nalgene bottles?  What?  are you guys thu-hikers?

Not to be a jerk, and I guess I didn't see the original question asked, but
if the words platypus or dromlite ever come up - ALWAYS circle platypus.

What a huge waste of weight and anything rubber gets gross as hell!
Seriously now - if this applies to a thu-hike, gatorade bottles and platypus
bags are it.  I just finished the trail 18 days ago and used the same platy
the whole way.  Yes others have used the hydration system and yes it did
leak after 700 miles but that was just at the seal and you can just order a
new seal after it does that.

and please don't buy a altimeter watch.. the alarms are too quiet and about
50 million people on the trail have them so you just save the 200 bones and
ask the guy next to you what the altitude is if you really have to know.
(sorry just had to throw that in there)

Remember, weight is everything.  You need so much less than you think you
do.

And don't even take rainpants along for ca it never rains... But it was cold
a couple of times but you will have long underwear anyway so no biggie.
(sorry once more)

Walk on,

Mouse

>From: Eric <radpin@gmail.com>
>To: Patrick Shannon <canuck013@yahoo.com>
>CC: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
>Subject: Re: [pct-l] Re: MSR Dromlite bags
>Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 20:04:39 -0700
>
>Patrick;
>
>That's very interesting to hear, and I appreciate the information for
>sure. I have already gone out and purchased an MSR 4 litre Dromlite
>bag and hydration kit at REI, so I guess we'll see how it fars. As I'm
>in Southern California, and water is scarce, I'll make sure to keep
>spare Nalgene bottles until (or if) I get comfortable with the
>Dromlite bag.
>
>Worst case scenario is that I figure out it doesn't work so well, and
>take advantage of REI's 100% satisfaction deal, and go with a
>platypus.
>
>But this makes one person who thought it was terrific, and one person
>who thought it was terrible. So in a few months I'll chime in to see
>which one I am, I suppose.
>
>Eric
>

>On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 17:52:35 -0700 (PDT), Patrick Shannon
><canuck013@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Eric,
> >
> > I started my 2003 PCT hike with a 4-liter Dromlite bag and I have
some VERY strong feelings from my experience with this product on that hike.
It is definitely NOT an upgrade. You are probably right as far as puncturing
holes in them, but the cap to the bag leaks like crazy. It just doesnt get a
water tight seal no matter how tight you turn it. The hydration system
attachment also sprung leaks and fell apart fairly quickly. My last straw
for this item was when the bottom seal somehow sprung a leak on the Hat
Creek Rim and I did the last half of that waterless stretch waterless in
100-degree heat. Nope, wasn't too happy with my water bladder then. I picked
up a Platypus bladder the next chance I got and hiked the rest of the way
with it without a problem. Only my opinions, but I feel pretty strongly
about this product. Hope this helps.