[pct-l] RE: Boots (Garret Christensen)

I have been wearing New Balance 800 series running shoes for hiking with
good luck.  I hike in the Sierra with under 25 lbs, mostly on trail with a
few steam or snow field crossings.  If I knew ahead of time that I would
encounter a lot of snow or stream crossings or off trail conditions, I would
reluctantly wear my Asolo FSN 95 Gore Tex boots.  At a little under three
lbs a pair they are the heaviest boots I wear.  I really prefer to wear the
lighter running shoes if possible though.  I haven't had any an ankle
sprains with the running shoes even though my legs aren't exactly built like
Arnold's--they used to call me bird legs in school.

John "Bird Legs" Coyle
Sacramento