[pct-l] Boots

garretchristensen@yahoo.com writes:

> After doing the AT and the PCT, I cannot imagine ever
> wearing boots again.  I own about a billion pairs of
> semi-worn out trail runners and low-cut light-weight
> hiking shoes, but no boots.  I'm curious for other
> light+fast hikers thoughts on boots--do you ever use
> them?  If so, in what circumstances? Based on Jardine
> I wore a pair from KM to Tuolumne meadows on my
> through hike this year, but regretted it the whole
> way.  They got wet and stayed wet and heavy.
> I also want to know what you wear when you go
> snowshoeing.  Is it only because we hit the Sierra in
> late season that the snow is so wet and boots suck,
> and gore-tex vibram soled boots actually make sense
> for short shoeing trips in early powder?
>
> Thanks,
> the Onion

I, too, have a couple pairs of real boots in the closet.  Can't let them go
because they cost a lot, but they'll probably never see another trail.  I would
like to wear trail runners but they're pretty scarce in the narrow width I
need, so I hike in regular running shoes (New Balance 998's in B width.)

Others have recommended specific shoes or boots that work for them.  That's
all very well, but the shoe that fits one hiker's foot won't do at all for the
next plodder.  Find the shoe that keeps your particular feet happy.

For overnight or weekend snow-shoeing, I have a pair of Sorels.  They are not
the boots I would choose for an extended trip.  For that, those closeted
hi-tops might yet come in handy!

Does anyone have a comment favoring Gortex-lined boots or trail runners?
Seems like pure marketing to me.  Once any water gets inside, running down your
legs or in over the top, they would likely take longer to dry out than shoes
without the Gortex.  Sure, they're wonderful for standing in shallow puddles,
but we don't do that a lot.