[pct-l] why people take the road route

I finished my thru hike August 4, and in retrospect, I
would have gladly taken a road route around the
detour.  It does cut into your mileage--I did 24s or
so, compared to 30's most other places and low 20 in
the High Sierra, so people under time constraints
might be doing the right thing, plus I just think it's
really not that fun to have pricker bushes rip at your
shins while walking up the steepest and worst
constructed/maintained section of the entire hike,
where you might get lost even though there's not an
inch of snow and most people don't have the topo map
to help them if they do lose the trail, since it's not
in the guidebooks.

Garret "the Onion" Christensen