[pct-l] Pack Weight/Rivers

As a 68-year-old section hiker, I wouldn't still be at it if it weren't for ultra-light packs.  Pack weight is my primary concern.   At 5 ft. 2.50 in. and 118 lbs, even 30 pounds was becoming too hard on my shoulders.  I am pleased to say I can now head out for a week with 22 pounds (including 2 liters of water).  Fortunately, I don't have a big appetite.  I use the Go-Lite Gusto.

Even more important than comfort, though, is better balance with a lighter pack.  As we age, rock-hopping or log crossings aren't nearly as easy as they once were.  When I went through the Mt. Hood section several years ago I was extremely concerned about the difficult river crossings.  I could never have done these on my own.  Fortunately,  I had a 20-year younger companion who lent me a hand.

T.O.B.