[pct-l] Re: stoves

Yet another reason to switch to an Esbit stove; the solid fuel tablets do
not flare-up.

Other pluses to Esbit:
1. ultralight: 3.5 ounces for the folding model, 1 oz for the X-version
2. tiny: 3 x 4 x 0.75 inches folded (holds 4 fuel tabs inside it too)
3. fuel weight  0.5 oz per tablet
4. fuel efficiency: 1/2 tablet boils 16 oz cold water
5. fuel can be shipped USPS or UPS without special restrictions
6. BLM states Esbit stoves are exempt from CA Campfire Permit requirements
7. Fuel is unaffected by moisture, temperature, or altitude.

The downside:
1. You must have a good windscreen. I use an MSR screen formed and stapled
into a cylinder just wide enough to not touch my pot. Weight penalty = 2
ounces
2. Fuel tablets have a faint odor slightly akin to rotten meat about them.
On trail, I carry them in my titanium kettle away from my clothes and food.
Off-season, I store them in my garage. Keeps radar-nosed wife happier.
3. Fuel tablets are not readily available along the trail; you have to put
them in your supply boxes or carry extras (I figure one 0.5 oz tablet does 1
day - breakfast and dinner + 1 spare. Fuel for 5 days = 3.0 ounces).

Over the years, I've progressed from a Coleman Peak 1 to a MSR to a butane
cannisters and then to Esbit. Tried and quickly rejected the ZIP stove. I've
carried my Esbit for three seasons now and it has never failed to perform
right the first time. It's getting harder to openm and close now with age
and rust so I'll replace it for next year. Cost = $12 with 4 fuel tablets.

Wandering Bob