From: "Mike Saenz" <msaenz@mve-architects.com>
To: "James Payne" <JPayne@standardsteel.com>;
<pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Cc: <matt@mattmaxon.com>; <Slyatpct@aol.com>
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2004 1:22 PM
Subject: [pct-l] PCT pronunciation (was:Tuolumne pronunciation,was "Re:
stoves")

Since we're on the subject:

I've hear a couple of versions of "Tahquitz" (PCT Section "B", above
Idyllwild).
The most often hear is "TAH-quitz".
Though I've heard another, from a Native American, as "tah-KEETZ",
which, to me, has a more authentic sound and cadence to it.

Does anyone know what Tahquitz means, and what the correct pronunciation
is?

Given it's location over the Devil's Slide trail from the PCT at Saddle
Junction to town, I'm inclined to believe it means: "It's a butt kicker
going down, too..."

M i c h a e l   S a e n z
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m