[pct-l] Base weight Sect Hike Cascades

purusing over the list you provided, I can see a few spots where you
can save weight:
1.  ditch the headlamp in favor of a Photon light, which weighs about
0.1 oz.  that will save the entire weight of the headlamp.

2.  get a lighter sleeping bag (you shouldn't need a 15 degree bag in
the summer in the cascades unless you sleep really cold).  If you want
to really lighten you load, you can find really good 30 degree bags
these days that weigh well under 2lbs.  Several manufacturers are
making sub-2 lb bags: Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends,
Marmot, Sierra Designs, Nunatak.  If you go with a down blanket, you
can get one that is under 1lb.

3.  You mentioned that kitchen stuff was heavy...  If you don;t already
have a Titanium cook-pot, go get one.  they are less than half the
weight of aluminum pots.  If you have a bowl or plate in addition to
the cookpot, ditch it and just eat out of the pot.  If you carry a fork
and spoon, ditch the fork and cut the handle of the spoon in half.  If
you carry a scrubber to clean the pot, ditch that and use sand along
the trail as an abrasive (don;t do this if your pot has a teflon
coating).

4.  Aquamira - ditch the bottle and put the tablets in a tiny ziplock
bag.

5.  I dunno what a Big Agnes sleeping pad is, but if it weighs more
than 5.7 oz, then ditch it and get a 3/4 length ridge rest.  you can
save even more weight by cutting the pad to fit the length of your
shoulders to your hips.  YOu can further cut the weight by making the
pad as narrow as you can and still be comfortable.

6.  I am fairly certain that your first aid kit is too heavy by "ultra-
light" standards.  My first aid kit weighs 2.0 oz and also includes my
lighter and some duct tape.

7.  Try an carry the smallest container possible for fuel, sunscreen,
deet.  You can buy tiny little plastic sqeeze bottles at REI and
transplant these substances into a smaller bottle.  If you reallt want
to save weight, dicth the deet unless you are certain that the
mosquitoes will be really bad.

8.  One way to save weight and not spend a fortune on a new tent is to
use a tarp instead.  Its not an easy transition for some people, so
don't even bother if you are not sure that you will be comfortable with
a tarp.

good luck.

peace,
dude