[pct-l] 20 mile days

Heck, as a former serious runner, I might as well chime in, too. While a lot of
the top (and not so top) runners average 5-10% body fat, they have an advantage
thru-hikers don't: easy access to unlimited food. Not that a 240 lb person "with
another 30 to lose" is in serious danger of getting that slim, but others, who
might be able to do so should realize that a little extra on a thru-hiker isn't
necessarily a bad thing (though I emphasize the "little" in "a little extra").

Kinda reminds me of the story a sailplane pilot related: he figured the birds
knew the most about the air currents so one day he followed (in his engineless
plane) a seagull which eventually wandered way out to sea. The pilot dutifully
followed. However, once the sun went down, the thermals vanished, the seagull
turned around and flapped its wings back to land. The pilot made it, too, but
just barely and not without a lot of sweat. Moral: think before you follow...the
other guy may be able to do things you can't.