[pct-l] 20 mile days

I agree with what you say about running. This would be equally true for
hiking, except I think another factor comes into play for hiking, which
is pack weight. If a 160 lb hiker and 200 lb hiker both carry a 40 lb
pack, the pack weight is 25% of the 160 lb hiker's body weight but only
20% of the 200 lb hiker's body weight. This translates to a smaller %
extra burden for the heavier hiker's muscles. The reason I bring this up
is that I have observed on the trail that many of the fastest hikers
tend to be bigger (but not real big) people carrying light packs.
However, put those same people in a 10K road race and they probably
wouldn't fare as well, since their body weight would work against them
there.
Ron