[pct-l] Steve Peterson Introduction

Ron, you will be pleased to hear this: my personal view is that the most
important product of the planning process is insight, not a plan.

What is most useful (to me) is to have the knowledge to answer What if?
questions, both before and during the execution of the project being tackled.
One of the things I tested last fall and will be putting to the test on the JMT
is How well did the plan "flex" in the face of reality? Last year's worked well,
but there wasn't much to go wrong or to want to change. The JMT will offer a few
more opportunities for feedback on my planning process.

Also, I've designed, done the structural engineering for, and constructed the
first phase of a house (by myself). If anyone thinks that planning for the PCT
requires finding out a lot of things and keeping track of a ton of info, they
ought (or perhaps ought not) to try to build a house! There, too, flexibility is
key--during construction one comes across a great many opportunities one didn't
see during design and it's a shame not to take advantage of at least some of
them (building departments make it difficult, though). On the other hand, one
doesn't move certain things (like bearing walls, beams, seismic fasteners, etc.)
without very careful study and maybe not at all. I assume the same will be true
of the thru-hike.

I also learned a helluva lot about flexibility on those bike trips--I had every
day's journey planned, but made changes because I wanted to and sometimes
because I had to and things turned out fine (that's encouragement for changing
the plan as I go). On the other hand, marathoning taught me (the hard way) that
trying to keep up with "the fast guys" before one is ready is a recipe for
disaster and so I learned to determine in advance what my pace ought to be and
to stick to it (an argument for following the plan). I've found that as my body
has aged, it is giving me less room for error--I think it's supposed to be the
case that enough wisdom has been gained along the way that the body will no
longer need to make up for some of the mind's foolishness. We'll see.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement...
--Steve