[pct-l] hiking speed vs. pack weight

This discussion has been extremely helpful in deciding to how light to go. I
have never thru-hiked but I am definitely attempting the PCT in 2006. I have
been an avid backpacker all my life but I traditionally take a heavy load
(i.e. 40+ lb packs). To me, it seems like such an accomplishment to go 50-60
miles in a few days. But it is WORK! It seems like there might be an
intermediate level somewhere between ultra light and the daily fatigue
associated with a heavy load. Is it possible to go, say, 25lbs and still be
comfortable enough to do the whole route? Does anyone try to do this whole
route with heavy packs? Could this be why there is about a 50% success rate
for this venture? Thanks for all the discussion. Extremely helpful!