[pct-l] hiking speed vs packweight

> Doesn't anyone realize that hiking at "high
> speeds" negates the purpose of being out there
> in the first place?

to each their own...  there are lots of reasons to go fast.  I started
hiking fast because I don't get alot of vacation time, so in order to
hike something lik ethe JMT, I usually have to do it in a week (plus
weekends), which means that I have to get in over 20 miles per day.

Another reason to go faster is so that can reasy resupply points sooner
and not have to carry as much food, and thus, save weight.

Another reason to go fast, as you mentioned, is for the challenge of
it.  There is satisfaction in pushing personal limits and going farther
today than you went yesterday.  Not everyone thinks this way, but
certainly there are many who do and enjoy testing themselves.  This is
a different, but no less worthy, reason to be on the trail.  Just
because someone wants to go fast and not stop at all the scenic
overlooks and take lots of pictures doesn't mean that their endeavor is
not as good, or not as sensible, or "the wrong way to do it".  Some
people like to go fast, others like to "stop and smell the roses".
Neither way is right or wrong and both can be fun in their own way.

Also, just because you go fast doesn't mean that you do not get to see
the sights.  Yesterday I participated in the PCT 50 mile trail run and
ran 50 miles on the PCT in 11 hrs.  When I came around an exposed curve
in the trail and caught a glimpse of Mt. Hood through a gap in the huge
pine trees, I stopped and stared at it for a few minutes.  As I stood
there, other runners also stopped and admired the beauty and majesty of
the mountain.  Even though we covered alot of ground, we all
appreciated where we were and the beauty of God's creation.

Enjoy the trail, however you do it.

peace,
dude