[pct-l] RE: Tahoe Stuff

Buzz and Izzy both mentioned this Ranger in their journals.  Buzz, especially, had very positive comments about her and mentioned she was quite attractive.  But, hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!  Yep, my bear cannister is big and black (Bearikade Expedition) and is also a thing of beauty!

Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net]On Behalf Of John Coyle
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 9:17 AM
To: 'pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net'
Subject: [pct-l] RE: Tahoe Stuff

Has anyone noticed that Desolation Valley Forest Service Ranger that looks
like TV host Kelly Ripa with short hair?  She's all over the place.  I've
been hiking on my vacation in that area, sometimes on the PCT, and I
encountered her in three places: Rockbound Pass, Velma Lakes, and Echo Lake.
She asked for my permit every time, and eyeballed my hiking gear intently.
Don't try to stealth camp in that area.  Look for the person in uniform with
a shovel in one hand, and a ticket book in the other going from person to
person at 4 mph.  Also the Forest Service might consider changing the name
to "Congested Valley!"  Oh well-this is California, the most populous state
in the union, what do you expect?  I don't mind a few hikers around as long
as they practice LNT principals, and most of them were.(for a story about
people who were not practicing LNT principals click on the second story
below--they were 4 wheelers though, not hikers)

Kudos to Brian Frankle of ULA; he sells good products and answers questions
personally.  My new Kelly green Canadian made P-2 pack worked great; very
good design, workmanship and comfort.  Until several years ago I was a
traditional heavyweight backpacker, but with my switch to lightweight gear I
really haven't noticed any decrease in comfort and safety.  HYOH, but I'm
sticking with lightweight gear--may even dabble with ultralight in the
future.

Check out these stories from the Sacramento Bee, my favorite fair and
balanced paper.  They report and you decide, and I decided they were fair
and balanced.  They are both indirectly related to Lake Tahoe and may be of
interest to PCT Hikers.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/travel/story/10100573p-11021425c.html  Little
Joe won't like this

http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/environment/story/10029467p-10950713c.htm
l  This one is about
Spider Lake which is close to the PCT in the Lake Tahoe area.  Get a clue
you 4 wheelers!

Adios Amigos
John Coyle