[pct-l] Help. Southern CA December hiking.

Yes it is definitely doable contingent upon your skills and tolerance to pain.  A majority of that section is lower desert like but you will have some potential problems or none at altitude at Fuller Ridge, and Big Bear and Wright wood.  Last year was an anomoly and we had 8 deaths around Xmas in these mountains.  But if you are prepared for some icey, snowy conditions - ie crampons and ice axes and four season tent - no ultralighting it is doable.  If you have some mobility and NO winter skills you might consider getting off below Idylwild and shuttle to Aqua Dulce and do the Mojave.  I plan on knocking off the Mojave some time this winter.  Enjoy - If you do choose to do this you will truly have a unique experience.

Duane- Shutterbug

"Kurtz, Jerid" <c-jekurtz@state.pa.us> wrote:
I'm a potential member of the 2005 PCT thruhiker class. I hiked the AT in 2003 and over the summer of 2004 I am serving as a Ridgerunner for the southern PA section of the AT.

In May I will graduate from college allowing my first possible date to start from Campo around May 16th. Because I don't want to be chasing the pack the entire summer and trying to avoid the snows up north, I am considering doing a large section of the PCT during my December-January break from college. I am curious if conditions from Campo to near Big Bear City are too extreme and cold to allow winter hiking. I have been tentatively thinking about trying to get between 200-300 miles in during December and January so that I could start near Big Bear, or farther north, when I get out to the trail for the duration of the summer come May. Any help or advice in this area would be much appreciated.

-Butta'