Fwd: [pct-l] Thru-Hikers and cans (was Scary bear story & not hanging food)

> 1.  dude, are you complaining about the weight of a can, but then
> saying that you should carry a gun which increases your weight by
> 25%???

I wouldn't carry a gun either.  I don't even own any guns.  However, if
a whole bunch of people carried guns and scared the crap out of bears,
I wouldn't have to carry one :-)

> 2.  How many people are killed by bears in the Sierras every year?
> None?  Then why is it necessary to "protect yourself, your spouse, or
> your children from a bear?"  Is it the privilege you want, or do you
> want to rebel against what you see as an "ultimate left-wing wacko
> law?"

Well, I am not certain that no one has ever been killed by a bear in
the Sierra.  I have heard that no one has ever been killed by a bear in
Yosemite, yet 14 people have been killed by deer!  Anyway, its the fact
of the matter:  Why is livestock life worthy of protection, but human
life is not?  Doesn't make any sense.

Although I will admit that I am a little rebellious at heart, the
reason that I don't want to carry a can does not really have to do with
rebellion.  I just feel like the wilderness is the one place I can go
to get away from all the rules, regulations, and complications of
living in the 21st century.  Now, slowly but surely, the backcounty is
becoming like a neighborhood that has a Neighborhood Association from
hell that won't let you "just live your life".  I also disagree with
the policy because it penalizes people who have not contributed to the
problem.  The problem was mainly created by "tourons" as we have noted
here on this list several times.  This particular situation places 100%
of the burden on backcounty hikers and ZERO burden on the turons that
continue to cause the problem.  As I have stated a few times already,
just three weeks ago I saw 3 people in Yosemite trying to feed a bear
at the top of Nevada Falls.  A ranger was right there and didn;t react
as forcefully as I did.  WHY in the world are we no fining the crap out
of people like that???  Instead, the tourons keep feeding the bears and
the back country users keep picking up the slack.  If they fined those
people who volutarily feed bear about $5000, not only would it help the
problem, but it would make me less angry about having to carry a can.

peace,
dude