From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net]On Behalf Of
waynekraft@verizon.net
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 12:56 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] Mosquito Report

I day hiked a bit last week in the south end of Three Sisters Wilderness out of Elk Lake and encountered mosquitos like I have never seen before. I slathered my arms & legs with 100% DEET. I put it on the front and backs of my hands, all over my face and neck and under my eyelids. I gargled with it and made DEET margaritas. It helped a little. I thought maybe it was just me, but then I got an email from folks who do trail maintenance every year for a trail ultramarathon near the PCT/Hwy 58 crossing. They aver that the mosquitos thereabouts are worse than they've been at this time of year for the last 20 years.

I have been analyzing this mosquito infestation and I think it is a human-caused problem.  These mosquitos have clearly become habituated.  The presence of thin-hided human hikers in their habitat has caused them to abandon their natural large mammal blood suppliers and attack hikers instead.  I propose that the USFS require all hikers in these areas to drain their bodily fluids into a Garcia Blood Cannister that is completely mosquito proof and may be carried in the backpack until well clear of mosquito country. Although this will add some weight to the ultra-light backpacker's gear list (not to mention the inherent problems involved in bloodless long distance hiking), but in the long run it will be worth it if the mosquitos go back to attacking bears and deer and marmots and such and lay off the hikers.

Just a suggestion.

Wayne Kraft