From: "Lars Nilsson" <Lars@standardarmament.com>
To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 9:36 AM
Subject: [pct-l] Bear Cans

"Carrying gun and ammo is heavier than bringing a bear can."  Actually,
a Glock .40 w/ 7 rounds weighs several ounces LESS than a 'Bear Vault',
and more than a full pound less than the Garcia bear can.  And while a
Glock is less fun than a WWII US Sherman Tank or a German Panzer, it is
certainly more sporting.  Also, I think stealth camping with a tank,
with or without a bear can, is almost out of the question, especially in
the Sierras.  Really, the point of bear cans or even guns is not just
keeping humans safe, but keeping wild animals wild.  Carrying a bear can
is quieter than carrying a gun, and in today's American West, it is more
socially acceptable. I have no problem with responsible adults "packing
heat" on the trail.  We thru hikers and ultra lighters think of
ourselves as a breed apart, but we are still part of the food chain.
And as we used to say in the '60s, "If you're not part of the solution,
you're part of the problem".  Carry the can in bear country.
Sincerely,
Lars Nilsson