[pct-l] Thru-Hikers and cans (was Scary bear story & not hangingfood)

> Here is the Oficial National Park Website that corrogorates what I said
> before about Yosemite's firearm policy:
> http://www.nps.gov/yose/wilderness/stock.htm
>
> Here is what it says: "One firearm may be carried by the lead packer
> provided it is unloaded, out of sight, and ammunition is kept separate
> from the weapon."

THAT DOES A LOT OF GOOD IN AN EMERGENCY.   That kind of logic sounds like
the argument I once had with my desk sergeant when I was an Military
Policeman. We had .45's and full clips but had to keep an empty clip in the
pistol and the loaded ones in our belt pouches. I refused, claiming that was
tandamount to suicide. His contention was that in an emergency, I'd have
time to draw, dump the empty magazine, pull and load a full magazine, rack
in a round and fire. I offered to let him prove that (no ammo in either gun)
against me in a draw-and-fire exercise.  He could have his hand on his gun;
I'd put both of mine on top of my head. He declined and stomped away. I
slipped a loaded magazine into my pistol in front of him and went back on
patrol.

As mentioned earlier in this thread by another, when the lives of pack stock
take prescendence over the lives of people, the policy is pure garbage! I
can legally shoot the bear attacking my horse, but if it goes after my child
I can't?  REDICULOUS!

Wandering Bob