[pct-l] Wildfires near Acton, CA, and Vicinity

On 04.07.21, Eric Lee (GAMES) wrote:
> At this rate, I'm wondering if there's going to be any vegetated
> sections of the PCT left by the time I get to hike it (in, oh, about 15
> years).  On the positive side, once the whole thing burns I guess we
> don't have to worry about fires any more.  Sigh.

	15 years!  I've read that the chaparral ecosystems are suited
to reburning each 7 to 10 years.  Some of the larger plants (shrubs,
not trees) regrow from their roots after fire and are above head level
in just 3 years.  Even in area where real trees grow, instead of
oversized shrubs, 15 years is a lot of time for regrowth (assuming
seedlings are established immediately after the fire).  Of course, 30
years is better...

	Anyway, there's still lots more fuel up in the hills.  Unless
we have fires larger than last fall's, you can count on more Southern
California PCT wildfires for years to come.  The problem is that some
of these areas haven't burned in the last 30 to 75 years, due, so it
is said, to human fire control.

					Craig "Computer" Rogers