[pct-l] Distance of the intire PCT ?

I think the explanation from Craig's pct planner is pretty good
http://www.pctplanner.com/about.php

========

The length of the PCT is one of great debate. It was listed as 2,638 miles
for a long time. Along the PCT, the total distance listed on signs can be
up to 300 miles off. If you take the mileage on page 42 from both
guidebooks, it adds up to 2665.0 miles. When I compiled the data points the
distance added up to 2663.2 miles. Most of this was caused by a mileage
descrepancy centered around Section H of the California Guidebook. This
program displays 2658.5 miles instead of 2663.2 miles is because this
program uses the "Official Crater Lake Alternate Route", which is 4.7 miles
shorter.