[pct-l] MT Hood and North - LOCAL????

Although I would agree entirely that Mt Hood is a mountain that
deserves and requires enormous respect and good mountaineering skills,
I would not say that rope is essential, or at least it would not
*require* roping up with a team (you may want to carry rope as a
precaution).

I was just skiing on Mt. Hood on July 10th (one week ago), and there
were hundreds of climbers making the ascent to the summit.  I stopped
and spoke with some of them at Timberline Lodge for a few minutes.
None of them roped up, but they all wore crampons (and obviously
carried an ice axe).

There is a sign in the parking lot of Timberline lodge that directs
climbers to a trail that starts the climb.  Once you hit about 8000'
you will be on snow and then glacier firther up the hill.  Although
there is not a "trail", per se, I cannot immagine that there would not
be a very pronounced rut in the snow where the hundreds of climbers
trek up the hill single file.  I have not actually summited Mt. Hood,
but I saw the line of climbers from the top of the chair lifts and
cannot see how this could not be the case.

I did also learn from discussing with the climbers at Timberline Lodge
that there is a significant bergschrund that takes some mountaineering
skills to negotiate, but they didnt use any ropes and instead just
hiked around to the edge where there was a snow bridge.

I would certainly not count out an August climb of Hood.  I think its
entirely possible if you have good mountaineering skills and know what
you are doing in the mountains.  Although I have not been on the summit
of Hood, I have been on many other mountains, including the highest
Volcano in North America, El Pico de Orizaba in Mexico (18,800').  I
have also been on Shasta in september and consider that to
be "climbable", but more difficult than earlier in the summer.  Based
on my experience with mountaineering, I'd say that Hood is entirely
climbable in August, though certainly may not be optimal.

However, I would like to add that Mt Hood is not to be taken lightly.
A few people die on Mt Hood each year, and I am sure that you remember
the disaster 1.5 years ago when the helicopter crashed trying to save
climbers who had fallen into a crevasse.  You must know what you are
doing in the mountains to attempt this.

peace,
dude