[pct-l] Mike's bear experiment

I did a experiment too about three weeks ago when I was in Yosemite.  My
friend and I jaunted up to the top of Half Dome, then ran down to the
top of Nevada Falls to wait for our wives who were meeing us there at
11am.

While waiting for them at the top of Nevada Falls, we saw a bear
wondering through a spot on the river bank where everyone sun bathes and
dips their feet in the water.  As an observer, I wondered:
(a) how long it would take for someone to try and feed the bear
(b) how many people would try to feed the bear
(c) how long it would take for the bear to grab an unattended pack
(d) if the owner of the pack would be stupid enough to try and take the
pack away from the bear once the bear had it.

Here is what I observed in my experiment:
(a) it took about 1 minute for people to try and start feeding the bear
out of their hand.
(b) about 3 or 4 different groups of people were trying to feed the bear.
(c)  it took about 5 minutes for the bear to locate an unattended pack
and start rummaging through it.
(d) the owner of the pack was indeed stupid enough to try and take the
pack away from the bear once the bear had posession of the pack.

The results of my experiment are quite clear:  bears are smarter than
most people.

peace,
dude