[pct-l] (no subject)

I ' m goiung north since a May 5 start at the border . I am in Merced so as to drop my girlfriend off to fly back to CT . At Rush Creek , just south of Donohue Pass we had an habituated bear and her cub come into camp . Another party the next morning told me they had the same that night camped nearby . Big Mom and cub ; thanks to Crow aqnd Sherpa and a southbound JMT friend - Dan bauer , we all eventuall drove her off . I now have a canister ; C and Sherpa had just got one the day before as I believe this was even their third exp . Tahnks to all trail angels and keep on trekking PCT thru hikers - Rafter Jack / AKA : Bushwhacking Jack , I hear !From davec at aemf.org  Wed Jul 14 12:33:30 2004
From: davec at aemf.org (Dave Canfield)
Date: Wed Jul 14 13:43:28 2004
Subject: [pct-l] Pine fire update (sort of)

Since there are no nifty 3D maps to see where this fire is (must be a small incident and that's a good thing!) I thought some of you might like an eyewitness update.  This fire is located where the PCT completes its wrap around the Los Angeles megalopolis, and begins to head northeastward across the Mojave.
Currently the fire is wrapping around the west side of the community of Three Points in two directions.  There was a long prevailing wind run northward out toward highway 138 in the desert.  The Tejon portion of the trail looks to be toast between Pine canyon road and almost to Hwy 138.
The other rather spectacular run is eastward along the north side of Liebre.  South of Pine Canyon. Road, the fire looks to have cooked the lower half of Liebre Mountain, and may eventually creep up to the top.  This is sad because this was one of the prettier portions of the trail in the area.  This eastward running arm of the fire is cleaning out portions of the forest, which have not burned for many years.  The forest service may let this part of the fire go for a while to do what fire needs to do.  The potential impact to the trail may extend eastward toward Lake Hughes.
This update is conjecture/estimation only because I did not go over to the PCT, but observed the location of the smoke and flames.  This is due to road closures and a desire to stay out of the way.  This update is as of yesterday afternoon because we were told to evacuate at that time (nothing to do but go to work/wait).

Dave