[pct-l] Re: Sonora Pass

Can't tell you about North yet, will be doing that in a few weeks, but
just from looking at the guide books, it is not nearly as impressive
as going South for about 10 miles. Last year we went from Toulumne
Meadows to Sonora Pass. That last 10 miles or so is totally gorgeous,
very high and trail is on or close to the ridgeline most of the time.
The rocks are volcanic not granite so more colorful than JMT. We had
an afternoon thunderstorm that made for great lighting, but a little
scary as very little shelter from lightning. No water at all on this
section. There is a lake that is maybe a half mile of a steep downhill
from the trail. I ran out of film at the start of that section and was
so impressed that I went back several weeks later and did an overnight
dry camp in and out.
--
Ralph Alcorn
www.backpack45.com