[pct-l] PCT advice

Erin wrote:

Second, is the Katadyn Mini Filter an OK choice for a filter?

I haven't used the Mini Filter but I understand that it filters quite
slowly.  The PUR (now Katadyn) Hiker is a popular choice and is much
faster to use.

Third, I would love to have some dog advice...most of the books I read
are
far from helpful, being almost offensive.

As others have said already, this subject comes up a lot and I don't
think anyone's mind ever gets changed by reading pct-l posts; only by
experience.  But for what it's worth, there were at least three dogs
that started the PCT this year who had excellent track records, same as
yours.  If I recall correctly, one had even thru-hiked the AT
previously.  However, all of them are off the trail now (I think; I
haven't heard definitely about Bradley and Banner but their web journal
hasn't been updated since April).  The heat just cooks them, and the
rocks tear up their pads.

If you're looking for information and suggestions, I'd suggest reading
what those three dog owners wrote about their preparations and their
experiences.  Try looking in these places:

*  Darrel and Sitka (See pct-l posts in the archive, particularly ones
from DjgPct@aol.com on 3/11/04 and 4/5/04)
*  ERTMan and Red (see
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=2039)
*  Bradley and Banner (see http://www.pctforpets.org/)

If you want to hike the PCT with your dog, I strongly recommend doing
Southern California by yourself and picking up your dog when you're out
of the desert.  But if, like most people who ask this question, you're
determined to try the whole thing anyway, please make sure you have firm
backup plans in place for getting your dog off the trail in a hurry if
it doesn't work out.

Eric