[pct-l] PCT advice

Erin & Kosmic - I agree with Goforth, I'd forget about the dog
consideration for the sleeping bag choice and just get whatever works
for you.  I have dogs and I know how great it is to love on them and
let them snuggle up to you, etc.  My dogs are very loving and we do
that quite a bit at home on the floor; they are not allowed on our bed
at home and neither are they allowed on our bed when we camp.  I made
this decision mainly because they get so filthy when they are outside
and part of keeping a sleeping bag working properly is keeping it
clean.  Keeping it clean also saves weight; you'd be amazed how many
ouces you can add in unseen dirt!

As far as the shel material goes, I always have gone for the lightest
material possible, which I beleive is .85 rip stop nylon (I am pretty
sure that this is lighter than Epic or Pertex).  The .85 rip stop nylon
has very minimal water repelency, but will save you between 2-4 ounces
on a full-size sleeping bag.  I don't worry about water repelency
because I have never had a problem keeping my bag dry, even on the JMT
when it rained 10 of 12 days on me.

It terms of a filter, my vote is to ditch the filter in favor of
chemical treatment.  I agree that filters taste better and are perhaps
more healthy, but the time savings is worth it to me.  Filtering
becomes a big time consuming chore for me, especially if you have to
filter water for more than one person. Filters these days are better,
but nothing is as fast as "scoop and go".  If it takes 10 minutes to
filter 1 liter of water and you have to filter 4 liters per day per
person, that is almost an hour of hiking that you gice up just to
filter.  I am not saying filtering is wrong or not what you should do;
this is just my opinion.

As far as taking the dog on a through-hike, there are several
considerations.  First off, it will make your logistics MUCH more
difficult because dogs are not allowed in several hundred miles of the
trail, including Yosemite NP, Kings Canyon NP, Giant Sequoia NP, Crater
Lake NP.  Secondly, you will DEFINITELY need booties for the dog in
some of the sections in the Cascades where the trail is essentially
walking on pummice and lava rock.  If you do not get booties for the
dog, his paws will be shreded after day one on the lava rock.  I don't
mean to discourage you, but I know that you wouldn't want to put your
loyal friend through that.  I made my dog hike with us 17 miles in one
day through the limestone in the Texas hill country and I felt so badly
when they were whimpering with every step during the last 2-3 miles.
there is no way that I could have pushed them to keep hiking the
following day.

In terms of "ultra-light" gear for dogs, I don't think it exists.  The
best Doggie packs that I've seen are made by MountainSmith:
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/packdetail.cfm/MS7600

Good luck.

peace,
dude