[pct-l] VVR & my '04 hike

I noticed a thread about VVR the first part of July and seeing as how I was just there, I have to throw my two cents in.

I hated the place.  The tabin for hikers and the showers/bathrooms were dirty.  The dryers didn't work (it took my friend K-too five hours to do his laundry).  The staff fell into three catergories: rude, incompetitant or nice but seriously overworked.  The food wasn't that great (I don't think the pies were homemade and the hikers I was with that ordered chicken had to send it back because it wasn't cooked).  Yes, it was expensive, but that was something I expected.

The kicker, of course, is that they are taking things out of the hiker box and reselling them.  Jim told a hiker that they are doing this because some hikers have run out on their bills.  I seriously doubt this but even if it is true, the items in a hiker box are NOT theirs to take.

Next time I hike the PCT, I'm going to go to Muir Ranch.  Yes, you have to pay $45 to pick up your resupply bucket, but compare that to the $90 I spent at VVR in less than 24 hours.  Split your resupply bucket with a buddy and you'll pay even less.  Muir Ranch is also less than 2 miles off trail and the staff there was very friendly when we dropped in (they unfortunately couldn't give us a meal since it was 4th of July weekend and they were booked).

If you're still reluctant to drop $45, suck it up and carry food all the way to Reds Meadows.  The store was pretty well stocked when I went through (back of the pack) and the staff was nice.  The campgrounds are good and I heard the free hot spring shower was worth it.  It's also quite easy to get into Mammoth Lakes from there.

Alllll that said, I am off the trail for this year.  I was running out of money and I missed my girlfriend.  After all the blisters I had and the 2 1/2 weeks of poison ivy (avoid bushwacking up Spanish Needle Creek!), the hiking was finally the easy part.  Oh, and for the record, I was not the individual from Ohio who started the Whitewater Canyon fire.  It was an amazing experience and you'll see me out there some other year.  :)

Jenny

--
Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm