[pct-l] Scout Merit Badge Hikes

> Most experienced hikers do not think about 20 miles in one day, let
> alone mountainous terrain, never mind a 12 year old.

although I would certainly agree that the scouts need to be conditioned
before jumping out and hiking 20 miles in one day, I disagree with the
statement that most backpackers don't hike 20 miles per day in the
mountains.  I know lots of people that do this, especially up here in
Oregon.  I've found the hikers up here to be a very hearty bunch.
Plus, the days are so long up here in the summer that there is about 16
hrs of daylight, which means you only have to average 1.5 mph with 3
hourrs of break-time.  Most people walk 2 mph just lolly-gaging around,
so you should be able to hit 20 miles in about 10 hours.  Its not
really that difficult, you just have to get up early, hike late, and
don't take many breaks.  You don't even have to walk fast. :-)

peace,
dude