From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Tom
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 10:21 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] Ultralight first aid

I am working on getting my pack weight down.  I have noticed that the one
thing that I haven't reduced is my first aid kit.  Obviously, this is one of
those items that is an exception to the "if I didn't use it last trip, get
rid of it" rule.  I believe that a first aid kit should be truly an
emergency item.  Not for blister treatment or other maintenance items.  The
only time that I ever really used it was for someone who wasn't even hiking
in my group.  And then it wasn't life threatening.  I have one of those
prepackaged REI kits in the nifty fold-up zip-shut pouches.  Clearly, the
pouch is the first thing that needs to go.  It is probably half of the
weight.  Next would be the little first aid book.  This information is much
lighter and more useful if carried in ones head.

My real question is; what is really important?  Do I really need such a big
assortment of Band-Aids?  I can take care of small wounds with a little
toilet paper and some duct tape.  Maybe my first-aid kit should concentrate
on the big stuff.  I am thinking, maybe a wad of gauze and some tape, a
butterfly closure or two, maybe some antiseptic.

Any advice?

Tom