[pct-l] Helter Sh-k-elter

"Dave" <dmd@email.arizona.edu> typed:
> To do this I
> need a shelter weighing no more than 2.5 pounds.  Here's my problem: I
> HAVE to have a tent, no other way around it.

I'm not questioning your need, but what is it about a tent that you have
to have?

Some reasons others have stated for needing a tent:
o Completely enclosed bug protection.
o Additional warmth.
o Wind protection.
o Visual privacy (modesty, etc.).
o Room to move about in bad weather.
o Room to stash gear.
o Ease of set-up.

Until you answer this question, and perhaps confront the real issues,
neither you nor we can be certain what kind of shelter will fit your
needs.

> Is there a tent out there
> worth purchasing or should I just suck it up and learn to live with a
> tarptent?

That depends...  See above.

> I have read about the Europa II and it seems to fit the bill,
> however I do not consider any of my research complete until I have
> consulted all of you.

If you ask for personal recommendations, you'll get hundreds.  All of them
will be well-suited to the recommender, and perhaps totally inappropriate
for you.

For example: I'm happy with my Shires TarpTent Squall for most conditions
in the summer Sierras. I'm also pretty happy with a poncho-tarp and an
Oware Epic bivy on some trips. Other times I take a larger tarp and a
lightweight bug bivy.

My suggestion is to go deeper than what gear you need, into what features
you need.