[pct-l] RE: Amazing People

Thank you very much for your kind words.

Some things go beyond the amazing into the miraculous.  What I find
miraculous is the fact that somewhere around 1500 hikers have stopped
through here over the years since this came into our lives, and there has
never been a situation we couldn't handle.  We've never had to ask someone
to leave, or ask them to stop doing something.  The truth is, we couldn't
do what we do if the hikers weren't the kind of people that they are.
99.9% are absolutely outstandingly wonderful human beings, and we treasure
the opportunity to know and assist them, however briefly.  We can deal with
and tolerate the .01% that are something other than wonderful because they
are such a minority.

The Trail itself is miraculous.  That so many people volunteer to maintain
and preserve it, who love it and enjoy it with such passion that they give
of themselves to ensure its sanctity -- whether seeking funds on Capitol
Hill or sweating with back bent over and a Pulaski in hand  on some
desolate stretch of chaparral -- is incredible.  PCTA, trail gorillas, ADZ
organizers, Back Country Horsemen, hosts, cachers, and the hikers and
riders themselves -- the concept of the Trail has drawn so many wonderful
people together.  No one is forced to do this;  we are all drawn to it in
our own way.  I find it astonishing and reverently cherish the association
with this community of people, and am humbled by the dedication of many.

And lastly, but perhaps most importantly, the greatest miracle is the
performance of our septic tank -- 266 hikers through this season, and not
one backup.  Truly amazing. :o)

-=Donna Saufley=-

Angle,