[pct-l] Online Journaling Methods

I thought I'd share the method I'm using to update my journal while out on my thru-hike, since no one else seems to be doing it this way. Before the hike, I set up an online journal at TypePad, a weblog service that supports posting via email. During the hike, I just send a message from my PocketMail device to a special address at TypePad that only I know, and my journal is automatically updated.

Check it out here:

http://pct.eric.euonym.org/

Someone back at home still has to upload the photos, but this method eliminates the copying-and-pasting of text from an email...if you're considering taking a PocketMail on your hike, then you're probably savvy enough to figure out how to set up an online journal. There's another service called Audioblog.com (I believe) that records audio over the phone and posts it to a journal in mp3 format...sounds interesting, and means that you wouldn't need to carry any additional weight.

Thanks to all who have posted information to PCT-L or to the web...it gave me the confidence to attempt a thru-hike when otherwise it might've remained just a dream.

Eric "Pacer" West

 Local access to Pocketmail mobile
email now available in Europe, North
America & Australia http://www.pocketmail.com