[pct-l] hitching

There has been a lot of discussion about hitching on this forum, so I
thought I would add my recent experiences into the mix.

After finishing at KM, I got a ride from near the store less than 5 min.
after I got there. Guy was driving this scary old motorhome, and told me 5
mi. into the drive that I might want to have my seatbelt off in case we
needed to ditch, 'cause his brakes weren't too good. Jesus, was that a scary
ride. Nice guy, though.

He dropped me at Pearsonville- basically a Shell station. Got a ride to Lone
Pine w/ a very nice trucker, but after a LOT of waiting. IMHO, getting a
lift to or from trailheads is a lot easier than getting rides up or down
395, especially for big, scary looking bums like me. On the plus side, I did
get to sample every one of the mini-marts 6 flavors of gatorade! (hey, what
else are you gonna do in Pearsonville?)

I was worried about getting up to Horseshoe Mdws., where I had left my car.
Several people said it was a difficult hitch. Nonetheless, within 15 min. I
was on my way up with a very nice couple.

The first ride started at 9am; I got to Horseshoe Mdws. at about 3pm.

Judson
Ashland