[pct-l] PCT Start Date

I am an AT '03 hiker now in grad school and aching to get back out
there, this time on the PCT, when I graduate next May. I want to start
planning so I have something to look forward to but wonder if I am
uneccesarily getting my hopes up - I won't be able to start until late
May, something like the 25th. Is this too late? What are the challenges
to starting this late and how many people do it?

Personally, rather than starting at Campo or even Big Bear Lake, I would
go straight to Agua Dulce (the Saufleys), especially if you are coming
from back East (Phoenix, AZ or further).  Three reasons:  1) you will be
right in the middle of the pack, and have both all the company you want
and the solitude hikers like; 2: you get a taste of the desert hiking
most of the pack will do while it's still warming up; 3) getting from
either LAX or Burbank Airports is much easier and cheaper.  From LAX you
can catch a shuttle to the light rail system that will take you to Acton
Station which is only 10 miles at most from Agua Dulce and will cost $20
or less.  Getting from LAX to Big Bear could be pretty expensive, $100
or more.  Then when you return to pick-up your southern 450 miles, you
won't have to try and arrange transportation to or from Big Bear and
again spend the extra $$.

Sincerely,

Lars Nilsson