[pct-l] crabtree/food

Sorry this is kind of lengthy....

Funny That you should ask. I am planning 11 hike day (12 day with 0 day) from Kennedy Meadows to VVR. See http://www.cities.com/pct_2005/ and click on resupply points.

I know peoples op-ions vary quite on bit on resupply along the High-Sierra section, but the thought of dropping out at Kersarg Pass, Whitney Portal, Cedar Grove, or Cottonwood Pass , I thought were a long way to go to get food. Some would point out that Cottonwood is not that far out of the way, although you would still have the Hitch.

My premise is if you would; is that hiking over 5 miles (2 hours) off the trail or trying to Hitch a longer distance is a logistic I would rather avoid. In any case, I decided to go with all the close places on the trail (see resupply points), (except one) that is less of equal to 5 miles. The Kennedy Meadow section being the one tuff point. For that section, I decided to tough it out and plan 12 days (11 hiking days). for weight considerations see below.

How much would my pack weigh with 12 days of food? Since breakfast on the first day and dinner on the last day don't count, It is actually 11 days of food. if I took 1.5 lb of food a day = 16.5 LB. Base weight of pack =16LB. and lets not forget fuel (2oz a day for 11 days) =22oz . or about 33LB. Also add water would would be about 1 quart, for a grand total of 34LB. Now for the ultra light people this would be absurd, but I am accustomed to 10 day 42LB Packs, so this works for me. I use the Ghost (Mountain Smith) which will accommodate 35LB. So it is OK weight wise.

On a final note, you may ask if you are carrying 35LB or weight how do you plan on going 20 mile days. Good point, I don't. The reason there are 11 hiking days is because I only expect to travel 15 miles a day. (Snickers and I averaged 14 over part of that section)

This won't work for everyone. But I came from an era where we would start with (gasp) 60 pound packs. (till Snickers showed me the way).....

-Mountain Goat-

Anna de Anguera <adeanguera@yahoo.com> wrote:
thanks for all the speedy responses! yes I didn't
think it would be possible to send mail there.
any thoughts on carrying 11 days' worth of food??
seems like a big load.