[pct-l] Arriving into USA this Sunday !

At 08:55 AM 6/16/04, Marshall Karon wrote:
>  Then take public transport to Union Station. Aren't
>there other stores even closer to the airport?

Having lived in Los Angeles and Fresno, I thing the best thing to do for a
JMT southbound hike is to skip Los Angeles all together, and fly directly
to Fresno (via LAX or SFO).

The Fresno Airport Holiday Inn ( http://www.holiday-inn.com/ ) is walking
distance from the terminal, and there are several grocery stores fairly
close (short taxi ride, or one is a 20 minute walk.)

The airport is in the suburb of Clovis where California State
University-Fresno is located. The smaller town (but still very large for a
trail town) is going to be much easier to deal with than Los Angeles. The
area has a lot of the services you would expect around a University, which
makes it a bit more friendly to transients like hikers. There is also
public transportation directly from Fresno Airport to Yosemite: the same
services you would use if you take the train to Fresno or Go Greyhound..

If you are set on flying into Los Angeles, then don't take the train to
Fresno (assuming that is why you are going to Union Station). Take a
Greyhound bus http://www.greyhound.com/ . There are LOTS more terminals and
it is cheaper and usually faster.

HYOH, and YMMV