[pct-l] Stehiken Bus Shuttle Service

Eric is quite  correct. It is straightforward. Park Service is cutting funding for the shuttle even though it is useful to hikers and residents of Stehiken.  Even if you use it for 5 miles instead of ten. A shuttle bus is something hikers can better " Access" trails and helps keep the locals from driving their cars 8 miles to town. ( Reducing noise , pollution, etc.) The Park Service uses shuttles in other areas and parks they manage and enforce. Let's hope they don't have any washouts or cracks in the pavement in Yosemite to cause a " Straightforward" shut down of those valleys as well. The term  "Accessible" in the hands of the NPS  is their trump card . Usually the difference between accessible and not accessible is about 20 yards of rock and a front end loaded working half a day on 90 percent of their inaccessible roads/access. Where there's a will there's a way, where there's no will , there's no way!
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Eric Lee (GAMES)<mailto:elee@microsoft.com>
  To: Monte Dodge<mailto:montedodge@msn.com> ; pct-l<mailto:pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
  Sent: Monday, June 14, 2004 4:13 PM
  Subject: RE: [pct-l] Stehiken Bus Shuttle Service

  Monty wrote:

    Park Service is now not going to run their shuttle?? Hard to believe??
  ( Follow the money trail, it never lies)

  I don't live in Stehekin, but I'd guess the reason that the Park Service
  isn't running their shuttle this summer is that the Upper Valley (which
  is what the Park Service is all about) isn't accessible, thus there's no
  need for a Park Service shuttle.  Seems pretty straightforward to me.

  Eric