[pct-l] Mt Hood trail September

I'll add my two cents. I have taken the Timberline Trail around Mt. Hood
several time, many during September. Typically the Oregon rains hold off
until mid-October, so the weather is normally stable, hot but pleasant.
Finding water is not a problem. Going around Mt. Hood is a mini-PCT
experience because of the elevation gains and losses and the stream
crossing. At that time of year surprising things can happen to make life
exciting, like: extremely hot weather which leads to extreme glacial melt
and snow dams bursting. I needed to wait until morning to get across one
stream (Newton). The erosion is amazing to see and the width of the stream
beds is something not seen on the PCT. And I agree with another writer about
the sand you must go through on the way to Timberline (on the PCT) - it is
very frustrating, especially since you can see the Lodge just on the other
side of the gulley - and yet you keep climbing.

I also favor going clockwise because the ups are more gentle. I prefer to
camp at the highest point of the trail on Gnarl Ridge. Count on 1 to 2
nights, minimum, depending on how fast you want to walk. I like to start and
end at Timberline Lodge because it has the easiest access with paved roads
the whole way.

Its a great 40 mile trek. Hope you do it.

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR
m.karon@comcast.net