[pct-l] Re: Black Toes

I got black toes one year when my old boots finally wore out and I replaced
them with a bottom of the line boot that felt great, but was so soft that when
going down hill, the whole boot shifted forwards so that my toes hit the end,
even when tightly laced. If your toenails are not being compressed or hitting
the end of the boot, they shouldn't get black. On a long hike the nails will
have to be trimmed every couple of weeks. The tops of some of my toes do get
tender sometimes, from rubbing on the top of the boot, so on most trips I have
five or six toes wrapped with breathable medical tape. Just finished 150 miles
in France with wet and rocky footing, with no foot problems. I'm 68 and have
noticed that skin thins with age, so I treat my feet better than I used to.

Ralph Alcorn
www.backpack45.com
Shepherd Canyon Books
Publisher of We're in the Mountains, Not Over the Hill:
     Tales and Tips From Seasoned Women Backpackers