[pct-l] permanent injuries from thru-hiking?

Hello Cathy,
I would lose both my big toenails yearly and they would just grow back in
time for the next hiking season, they were also black.  I tried every thing
I knew, different sizing in boots and running shoes, different lacing
systems.  Going downhill was always agony for me. Four years ago while
hiking down the Grand Canyon my toes were a mess (uphill was no problem) and
when I got home I went to the foot doctor and he recommended that I have the
two big toe nails surgically removed.  It was the shape of my toes they not
only hit the end of the shoe but also the top of the shoe, I had tried those
foam toe tubes and thought that might work, they did help a little.

Well, I had them removed, it did not hurt and you do not notice that I do
not have big toe nail while wearing sandals, so far they have not grown back
in. But, if they should come back I would have them taken off again.  I was
day hiking yesterday and coming down a very steep slope I remarked on just
how great it is not to have sore toes anymore.
Cheers,
Marge   [The Old Gal]
http://www.prothman.org/marge