[pct-l] permanent injuries from thru-hiking?

Pea wrote "also, when i hiked section A of the pct last year, the main issue
my body had was illiotibial band syndrome on my right knee. i had pain on
the outside area of my knee, and it was much worse on downhill than on
uphill. my knee and hips remained sore for weeks after my hike- much longer
than i had expected! i have an article with some stretches, etc, related to
this problem, but i'm wondering if anyone out there has any advice,
especially techniques or technology to help avoid having this problem in the
future."

You might consider working with a trainer who has experience with stability
& balance training to develop core body strength over this next year.  I've
found that this has helped me over the last eight months or so after having
over-used both knees on a short backpack through Yosemite last year.  My
knees have been rather abused over the years, including a 1978 car accident
that took out 2/3 of my right kneecap.  So I try to spend enough time in and
out of the gym (two stability training sessions a week, plus one or two
leg-strength workouts, focusing on leg extensions, in addition to cardio &
conditioning hikes) to enable me to continue my hiking addiction.  Also,
losing weight (unless you're a natural ectomorph) helps take the load off
the knees, and keeping the pack weight light helps tremendously.  Finally,
using trekking poles (don't recall if you've mentioned that you use them) is
a huge help in taking the stress off the knees and hips.

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija
PCT partially '94